How Exactly Does Hydrodemolition Work?
With hydrodemolition you are getting a safe and fast alternative, where the preservation of structural elements is paramount.
Hydrodemlition makes use of high-pressure water jets, penetrating the concrete matrix and breaking it down into smaller pieces. More or less the same size as a percussive hammer but without any structural vibrations, damaging the reinforcement, substrate or adjacent elements. It also eliminates structurally transmitted noise that is associated with the more conventional concrete removal methods as well as dust.
You can make use of hydrodemolition for localised removals where deterioration is confined to smaller areas, for the larger area removals, to remove any existing coatings from steel or concrete or for concrete surface aggregate exposure prompting bound.
Because of this process, you are provided with a structurally sympathetic method of defect removal, which offers a great bonding surface for new coating applications, and repair material applications.
- There is a wide range of structure types that hydrodemolition technology can be used on, structures like:
- Bridge decks and substructures
- Parking structures
- Water treatment facilities
- Piers and wharves
- Retaining walls
A Few Advantages of Hydrodemolition:
- There is no damage caused to the reinforcing steel used
- Hydrodemolition will eliminate any exposure of operatives to percussive tool-hand-arm vibrations
- Hydrodemolition also eliminates micro cracking within your structure generated by percussive methods
- It will clean chloride and corrosion salts in the removal process
- There is no resonance noise or vibration transition to the structure which also eliminates any nuisance noise to occupants
- Hydrodemolition does not produce a friable layer within the removed area; this can often lead to interface failure.
- Compared to the more conventional labour based percussive methods used, hydrodemolition offers an increased output.
At Total Blasting in Edenvale, we offer a safe and secure way of removing any large or heavy materials with a completely professional service in order to ensure that our clients can move on with their projects without wasting any precious time.
For more information on our hydrodemolition products and services, visit our website on www.totalblasting.co.za or give us a call on 011 452 3292.